Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

The pin:  http://pinterest.com/pin/157555686933920313/


Here I go again using my kitchen chemical lab.  Darn you, Pinterest!  


Anyway, this jewelry cleaner, no kidding, honest to all goodness....WORKS!  I have a sterling silver ring that I have not worn in probably 10 years and it was COMPLETELY black.  


I dropped it in and 5 minutes later, VOILA - a beautiful sterling silver ring reappeared!


Two things I would do to maximize this wonderful homemade concoction:


1.  Buy a small brush to really get into the grooves of your jewelry.
2.  Buy a good polishing cloth. 

What you will need:


1 T Salt
1 T Baking SODA
1 T Dish Detergent  (I just used my lavender mint dish soap and it worked great!)
1 C water
Sheet of aluminum foil 
Medium/Small bowl


A.  Heat water in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes.
B.  Cut a piece of aluminum foil that roughly covers the bottom of a small bowl (like a cereal bowl).
C.  Pour hot water into bowl. Place salt, soda, and dishwashing liquid into bowl. Place jewelry on top of foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse jewelry in cool water and dry jewelry completely with soft cloth. Discard solution after use and make a new batch next time.
D.  According to wire-sculpture.com, "this works well for gold-filled, brass, german (nickel) silver, and sterling silver. I have even cleaned jewelry with freshwater pearls, shell cameos and mother of pearl with no problem.".


Want to know more?  Click on the Pin and it will bring you straight to the website of the original pin!

***Oh, and do this with the kids!  I was literally waiting for a poof and then a rabbit to appear, but it didn't.  The kids still thought it was cool to see the "fizz".  




My Verdict: WINNER!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest